Emergency Travel Medical Coverage: Global Medical Assistance
Travelling offers many rewards—but it can also present challenges. One challenge your plan members don't need is an emergency medical situation while travelling.
Our Global Medical Assistance group plan enhancement to your group healthcare plan is designed to provide worldwide assistance to travellers in emergency medical situations, wherever and whenever the need arises.
Solutions That Fit Your Needs
- Offer reassurance to plan members who travel for personal or business reasons
- Reduce stress in the time of emergency
- Service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
With Global Medical Assistance (GMA), travel assistance is provided for emergency medical situations anywhere in the world, including Canada, if the trip takes the plan member more than 500 kilometres from home.
Through an arrangement with an emergency travel assistance company, GMA can help your plan members with the following services:
- Worldwide assistance and communication network – available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, this service helps your plan members locate hospitals, clinics or physicians.
- Medical advisors – qualified licensed physicians provide consultative and advisory services and second opinions.
- Admission advance assistance – advance payment when required for hospital admission.
- Courtesy assistance – helps locate qualified legal assistance, local interpreters and appropriate services for replacing lost passports.
- Assisting unattended children – if a plan member is hospitalized, GMA covers transportation expenses for the plan member's unattended children to return home. The assistance company also helps with travel arrangements, boarding and making the appropriate connections.
- Return of vehicle – if sickness, injury or death prevents a plan member from driving, GMA pays up to $1,000 towards the cost of having a plan member's vehicle returned home or to the nearest rental agency.
- Transportation reimbursement – if a plan member misses prearranged and prepaid return transportation because of hospitalization, return airfare expenses are covered.
- Medical evacuation – if a medical emergency occurs while the plan member is travelling and suitable local care is not available, GMA covers the cost of medical evacuation to Canada, or to the nearest hospital outside Canada that provides the appropriate treatment.
- Family member travel assistance – if a plan member is travelling alone and is hospitalized for more than seven consecutive days, GMA covers the cost of bringing a family member to the hospital.
- Travelling companion expenses – if a plan member is admitted to a hospital on the day he or she is scheduled to return home, and that plan member had been travelling with a companion, GMA covers the companion’s additional transportation and accommodation expenses due to the plan member's hospitalization.
- Transportation of remains – if a plan member dies while travelling, expenses for preparing and transporting the plan member’s remains home are covered. The assistance company can also help make the appropriate arrangements.