Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life release Public Accountability Statement
Winnipeg, MB, May 17, 2018 . . . Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life have released their 2017 Public Accountability Statement, Delivering for Canadians.
The report describes how the companies operate in a socially responsible manner, and includes highlights of the ways they deliver for their customers – including their employees, distribution associates and Canadians across the country – each year.
“Our companies strive to improve the financial, physical and mental well-being of Canadians,” says Stefan Kristjanson, President and Chief Operating Officer, Canada. “This is our purpose and the reason why we do what we do. The 2017 Public Accountability Statement highlights examples of how we positively impact the well-being of Canadians in communities across the country.”
Here are some highlights:
- We contributed $3 million in community support to health-focused initiatives
- The Evolution of Workplace Mental Health in Canada book was published in honour of the 10-year anniversary of the Centre for Mental Health in the Workplace
- The Carbon Disclosure Project ranked us as the top Canadian insurance company for our commitment to environmental sustainability, and gave us an A- rating
- GWL Realty Advisors were ranked as the top real estate management firm in Canada by the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark
- We recycled 67 tonnes of cardboard, 116 tonnes of compost and 976 tonnes of paper
- GHG Emissions were reduced by 17.7%, water consumption by 16% and landfill waste 45%
- Our employees raised $2.2 million for charity
- On National Aboriginal Day, CEO Paul Mahon signed the Winnipeg Indigenous Accord
- We’re one of Forbes Canada’s best employers
- We supported over 750 education, health, arts & community initiatives, including:
- Pathways to Education, who help low-income students graduate & pursue post-secondary education, contributing to declining drop-out rates
- The University of Manitoba Leadership Institute – a nationally recognized teaching and research institute focused exclusively on leadership development
- We’re an Imagine Caring Company, donating at least 1% of pre-tax profits
- In 2017, we donated $13.5 million in community funding across Canada
Watch our video about the Public Accountability Statement on YouTube Opens in a new window. You can also view and download Delivering for Canadians Opens in a new window on the Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life websites.
About Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life
Together, Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life help to build a brighter future for communities by providing financial support focused on education, health and wellness, arts, social services and community development. As an Imagine Caring Company, supporting the principles of corporate citizenship and benchmarks for community investment established by Imagine Canada, they contribute at least one per cent of average pre-tax profits in support of the communities where their employees live and work. In 2017, our companies contributed $13.5 million to communities. To learn more visit Greatwestlife.com.
For further information
Director, Media & Public Affairs