- Coverage for lower income residents ages 65 or older who are receiving the Federal Guaranteed Income Supplement and registered with Old Age Security
- Coverage for eligible prescription medications for individuals and families with low incomes. The amount of coverage is determined by net income level and family status
- Coverage for families and individuals with high cost drugs – co-payment is based on annual income
|$0 - $40,000||5%|
|$40,000 - $75,000||7.5%|
|$75,000 - $150,000||10%|
- 100 per cent coverage for disease-specific medications and supplies for residents with cystic fibrosis and growth hormone deficiency.
- The Newfoundland and Labrador Prescription Drug Program pays the ingredient cost of approved prescription drugs
- No coverage for ambulance services or other transportation
- Coverage of basic dental services for children ages 12 and under. Coverage for children ages 13 to 17 years whose families are in receipt of income support benefits through the Newfoundland Children’s Dental Health Plan, subject to a co-payment. Services covered include exams every 6 months, cleanings every 12 months, limited fluoride treatments, x-rays, fillings, and extractions.
- Some coverage for adults receiving social assistance for emergency care and extractions.
- Coverage for certain surgical-dental procedures which are medically necessary to be performed in hospital by a dentist or oral surgeon
- No coverage for treatment of accidental injury to teeth
- No coverage
- Accommodation and meals at the standard ward rate
- Private and semi-private room charges are covered if provided for medical reasons or if standard accommodation is not available
- No coverage for chiropractor, podiatrist, physiotherapist, massage therapist, osteopath or naturopath services.
- Coverage for rehabilitative services (e.g. physiotherapy, occupational therapy and audiology), under the Hospital Plan if provided by a hospital
- No coverage
Nursing benefits and home care
- Some coverage for regionalized continuing care/home support programs. Coverage is based on the assessed need of the resident
- No coverage for appliances used outside a hospital
Accidental death and dismemberment
- No coverage.
Out of country
- Coverage of in-patient services to a maximum of $350 per day in a community or regional hospital, or to a maximum of $465 per day in a tertiary or specialized hospital
- Coverage of out-patient services to a maximum of $62 per day
These highlights from the Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Care Plan and Newfoundland and Labrador Hospital Insurance Plan are for general reference only and are subject to change, corrections and updates. Other government programs may also be available. For more information on the latest coverage details, contact:
The Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Care Plan
P.O. Box 200
100 Elizabeth Avenue
St. John’s, NF A1C 5J3
Phone: (709) 758-1500
Updated: December 2018